ABOUT THE MARINA- Cafe & Pub Team
Former Mayor of Newport, Rhode Island, Richard Sardella is a graduate of Bryant University. He has also owned and operated Sardella's Restaurant located in Newport, Rhode Island, for over 30 years. Richard believes in giving back to community, as he hosts and sponsors several community events each year.
Patrick Golden is a graduate of the University of Rhode Island, and Salve Regina University. With over 20 years in the hospitality business, Patrick has lived and worked in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, and in Newport, Rhode Island. Before opening the Marina Café & Pub, he worked and helped to coordinate the re-opening of the Stone House, a boutique hotel with 2 restaurants in Little Compton, Rhode Island. Patrick has been an active volunteer on Aquidneck Island for many years, and also works as a mental health clinician.
Zachary Brietzke, a Newport resident for the past 15 years, entered the hospitality industry as a prep cook at age 15. Zachary immediately developed an interest and passion for cooking, as he pursued his Culinary Science degree at Johnson and Wales University. While still studying, he has continued to expand his knowledge and work experience, as he has advanced in his career through many well-known restaurants in the area including 41 North and the Backyard Patio & Grille.
HISTORY OF GOAT ISLAND
Goat Island is a small island located in Narragansett Bay, and is part of the city of Newport,
Rhode Island. Early records show that the island was home to Narragansett indians. In the mid 1650's colonists who were living in Newport purchased Goat Island, and two other nearby
islands, Dutch Island and Coasters Harbor Island, for six pounds and ten shillings, from
Cachanaquoant, a Narragansett Sachem.
In 1702 a earthen fort was built on Goat Island, and was named Fort Anne, after Queen Anne.
In 1723, twenty six pirates were hanged at Gravelly Point, which is the neighborhood you see
when looking northeast at Newport, off Goat Island, and is now called "The Point". The pirates
were then buried on the northern part of Goat Island, at the mark halfway between high and
low tides; so the tide will forever ebb and flow over their corspes, leaving no rest for their souls for all eternity. If you listen closely, it is said that you may hear the wailing cries of the lost pirate souls.
In 1776, the fort was reconstructed, and named Fort Liberty, by the colonists. Shortly after, the British army occupied Newport from 1776 through 1779, and renamed the fort, Fort George. In 1779, the colonists reclaimed the fort, and in 1784 it was renamed Fort Washington, after George Washington. In 1794, Newport sold Goat Island, to the federal government, for $1,500.
It was used as a military fort to defend Newport Harbor. In 1798, the fort's name changed again, to Fort Wolcott, after Oliver Wolcott, who was a General of the Militia, and a member of the Continental Congress from Connecticut.
Around 1869, the U.S. Naval Torpedo Station was founded. Throughout the next 80 plus years,
the station produced over 80 percent of the torpedoes used by the U.S. Navy, during
WW1 and WW2. At its peak, more than 13,000 people were employed at the torpedo station.
After WW2 ended, the Torpedo Plant was no longer needed, and Goat Island was considered
surplus land. The Newport Redevelopment Agency purchased Goat Island, and in 1964, the
present causeway was built.
Today, Goat Island is occupied by residents who live on the island year round, and by thousands of visitors, who come to enjoy all that Newport has to offer.